You may be able to breathe a little easier if you’re among the more than 37 million Americans who suffer from sinus pain and infection or are looking for a more natural way to keep healthy. There are a number of simple remedies that might save you time and trouble:
1. Sleep between seven and nine hours a night. Try for more sleep when you have a sinus infection.
2. Practice good hygiene and wash your hands several times a day.
3. Use a negative ion air cleaner or HEPA filter daily.
4. Try using a humidifier when using an air conditioner or during the heating season.
5. Avoid sugar, dairy, caffeine and alcohol and enhance your diet with fruit, vegetables, whole grains and fiber.
6. Try daily aerobic exercise such as walking, preferably outdoors except on highly polluted days.
7. Drink filtered water—a good measure is ½ ounce per pound of body weight.
Use nasal irrigation to help dissolve mucus, clean and moisturize nasal passages and relieve irritated sinus, nasal passage and throat tissue. This simple procedure has been practiced in India for centuries as one of the disciplines of yoga. Whether you have allergies, a cold, sinusitis, chronic congestion or throat irritation, the irrigation solution doctors have been recommending for more than a century is Alkalol®. Made from natural ingredients, it is an effective nasal irrigation solution providing soothing relief. And it contains no antihistamines, preservatives or chemicals that may irritate or damage tender mucous membranes.
Consider steam therapy or mentholated air. An at-home steam treatment can help break up nasal congestion and ease your suffering while you look for a long-term solution to treat and relieve your sinus infections. Plus, they are safe for sinus sufferers of all ages.
In the midst of an allergy attack, all you can think of is allergy relief. Try over-the-counter, non-drowsy formulations so you can get on with your day without the desire to nap. There are also one-a-day type products that do not require you to follow a dosing schedule. When in doubt, double-check with your pharmacist for the newest medical products right for you.
Remember to have patience. Natural remedies may take a little longer to work than antibiotics but may do a better job of cleansing to help prevent future infection.