Do you think that the reason behind obesity is eating too much with less exercise?
The government claims that the reason why people are getting fat is they eat too much and don't exercise. But according to one expert, this is not the real cause of obesity. Gary Taubes, an author and independent investigator in health policy at the University of California, Berkeley, says that there are many examples why it doesn't work.
In 1934, at the height of the Great Depression, there was barely enough to eat, but there were so many fat kids in New York City, a childhood obesity clinic that was founded at Columbia University. What they eat were inexpensive, starchy or sweet foods that made them gained their weight.
One theory had been around for decades but has largely been ignored. It implicates refined sugars and grains because of the effect on the hormone insulin that regulates fat accumulation. Interaction can be found in medical textbooks.
A study by the National Institutes of Health shows that a low-carbohydrate diet, which is reduced in bread, pasta, and sweets, and choosing the red meat, fish, fruit, and vegetables are producing good results in preventing weight gain and achieving weight loss.
Few main causes of obesity:
- Lack of physical activity
- Eating more than enough regularly
- Genetic inheritance
- Increase of Carbohydrates on diet
- Medicines associated with gaining weight such as antidepressants, anticonvulsants, some diabetes medications, certain hormones like oral contraceptives, some high blood pressure medications, and antihistamines
- Some cases are due to psychological factors
- Poor choices in healthy foods
The government is right that we shouldn't eat a huge amount of food, but how we eat makes a big difference.
But, is choosing all the right foods for our diet will solve everything?
Diets work if you don’t have enough determination why we should take good care of our body.
- Instead of looking for the best diet program, have the right mindset on eating healthy food.
- Choosing to exercise to lose weight? You should choose to exercise to be healthy.
- Stop thinking about how you look. Surround yourself with good people who don’t focus on the looks of others but encourages you to keep up the good choices for a healthy lifestyle.