Most of us know we should drink at least 8 eight-ounce glasses of water per day as part of a good health strategy. Based on weather, physical activity and if pregnant or not, you should drink even more than the recommended amount. Women can drink as much as 91 oz per day; men 125 oz. The majority of us do not drink nearly as much as our body needs to function at peak efficiency. Here are few tricks to help you get your daily water quota:

Eat water-enriched foods. About 80% of our daily water intake comes from drinking; the other 20% comes from food. Some vegetables, like lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes, are 95% water. Fresh fruits like blueberries, apples and oranges are 85% water and are loaded with good nutrients and minerals; watermelon is 95% water. Supplementing your daily water intake with the recommend daily amount of fresh fruits and vegetables is a good way to get enough water.

Drink water cold. Water just tastes better if you drink it cold. And the body has to work harder to warm it up to body core temperature. You’ll burn more calories drinking cold water than tepid or water that is closer to your body core temperature.

Add flavor to your water. Adding flavor to your water does a couple of things; it tastes better and can help provide the recommended amount of vitamin C and replace the electrolytes potassium, magnesium, sodium and calcium lost through sweating. Add lemon, lime or cucumber to a pitcher of water and see if you don’t enjoy the flavor more.

Put a day’s worth of water in a pitcher: Keeping track of how much water you drink in a day is not easy; (if not tracking, most likely you’ll not get enough). Put a pitcher filled with 64 ounces of water in the refrigerator or a thermos. Keep drinking throughout the day until it is gone.

You have to drink an adequate amount of water each day to keep from getting dehydrated and to stay healthy. However, stay away from sugar-laden drinks that also add a significant amount of calories and don’t quench your thirst.