Savvy Skills For Shopping School Supplies
Back-To-School 101: Getting a head start on basic school supplies can help you find some deals at the best prices.
While every school year is different, one thing that remains the same is the desire to save on school supplies. Moms are looking to save on more than just dollars and cents. They want to save on time and stress, too. To help, here are some tips and advice on how to get yourself and your child off to a successful start this school year:
- Shop early: Vacation is a good time to inventory what supplies you already have at home, make a list of what each child needs and start looking for the best deals. Many stores offer bargains on school supplies during the summer months, so getting an early start can add up to savings.
- Create a budget: While it can be good to get kids involved and let them choose some items, it’s a smart idea to have a budget. If your children know how much to spend, they can do the math. Budgets can teach children a valuable lesson in both math and economics. You can also involve your children in the shopping process by showing them how to look for a good deal.
- Keep a family calendar: Post a bulletin board or calendar to help keep everyone on track. Keep children up-to-date on key dates, including school assignments/tests and extracurricular activities. Also, consider color coding each child’s schedule to stay on top of all the to-do’s.
- Search for savings: Walking up and down the aisles to find the right product-at the right price-for your child isn’t as hard as you think. Looking for a good deal can help you save big when buying back-to-school products. Check out your local circular for the top deals each week.
- Buy basics in bulk: While teachers provide lists of specifics, the basics that students need to start out the school year are pretty consistent, so it can pay to buy in bulk, especially if you have more than one child. Getting organized, looking for deals and mapping out the best way to prepare for the start of school will lead to a stress-free and easy experience.